At AstraZeneca, we recognize that advances in medicine rely on innovations in chemistry.
In 2011, to reward outstanding contributions to the art of organic chemistry, we introduced a global awards program where we will present two AZ Young Investigator Awards in each region (North America, Europe and Asia) annually and one global AZ Distinguished Career Award every other year (starting in 2012).
The program builds on the legacy of various existing national or regional award programs, some of which have been in place for more than 25 years.
The AZ Young Investigator Awards are awarded to talented young academic researchers who have demonstrated distinct achievements in synthetic, computational, mechanistic or bioorganic chemistry. Each of the awardees is presented with a $50,000 unrestricted research grant intended to help foster continued growth and development of their research programs.
The awardees are selected by a team of our senior scientists and scholars.
The 2011 AZ Young Investigator Award winners are:
- Dr Govindasamy Mugesh, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Professor Shuli You, Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry, China
- Professor Lutz Ackermann, Georg-August-University Göttingen, Germany
- Dr Hon Wai Lam, University of Edinburgh, UK
- Professor André Beauchemin, University of Ottawa, Canada
- Professor Neil Garg, University of California, Los Angeles, US
AstraZeneca Research Chairs and Fellowships
Over the years, we have provided outstanding training opportunities for talented researchers and scientists by sponsoring research chairs and fellowships at Canada’s leading universities, including:
- AstraZeneca Chair in Organic Synthesis - University of Toronto
- Chair in Biotechnology - University of Toronto at Mississauga
- Asthma Chair - University of Alberta
- Moran Campbell Chair in Respirology - McMaster University
- Chair in Cardiovascular Research - McMaster University
- Chair in Respiratory Disease Management - University of Montréal
- AstraZeneca Chair in Schizophrenia - University of Saskatchewan
- AstraZeneca/Firestone Chair in Respiratory - McMaster University
- Richard Hunt/AstraZeneca Chair in Gastroenterology and Pharmacology - McMaster University
- Gerry McDole Research Fellowship - University of Manitoba